Skip to main content

Sending/Receiving Faxes as Emails in Windows

Most Fax server software allows you to send/receive faxes through email. While looking at the alternatives, I could not find any free, Windows based solution that suited my needs. Most of the software I looked at requires you to have a dedicated smtp server or DNS settings in your local network. I developed Email-to-Fax Server to work with an already established SMTP and POP server (it requires an email account) and decided to make it open sourced at CodePlex.

Email-to-Fax Server’s foundation is the excellent Fax .NET library. The program is developed in C# and uses the internal Windows's Fax services as its foundation.

Email-to-Fax Server is a windows application that does the following:

  • Sends email attachments as faxes.
  • Sends faxes received as email attachments to a specified address or addresses.

It obtains emails from a POP email account and sends the emails' attachments as faxes to the fax number specified in the subject line. It uses a SMTP account to send faxes received in the windows machine as email attachments. The user can configure the server using a standard Spring.NET xml configuration file.

If you are looking for an application that allows you to send or receive faxes through email, go to Email-to-Fax’s site here and download a copy of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi there,

What you have done is amazing and many thanks for this effort and making this work as open source. One thing that I'm confused about, Do I need to install a POP server to enable your integration?

Many thanks,
Juan Pablo said…
You will need a POP server, either a local one or an external one. I tested the code with my old ISP POP mail account, so it was an external server.
Adam Dagan said…
Hello,
I apologize for commenting on such an old post, but I would be very glad if you could have a look at the following:
http://emailtofax.codeplex.com/discussions/354210
Seems like your software is the only one I could find (both free and paid) to do this simple task.
Thanks in advance, Adam.
Juan Pablo said…
Sorry about not getting back to you earlier, I will do my best to reproduce and fix the issue this week. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Powershell script for converting JPG to TIFF

The following Powershell script will convert a batch of JPEG files to TIFF format: #This Code is released under MIT license [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Drawing") $files_folder = 'C:\path-where-your-jpg-files-are\' $pdfs = get-childitem $files_folder -recurse | where {$_.Extension -match "jpg"} foreach($pdf in $pdfs) { $picture = [System.Drawing.Bitmap]::FromFile( $pdf.FullName ) $tiff = $pdf.FullName.replace('.PDF','').replace('.pdf','').replace('.jpg','').replace('.JPG','') + '.tiff' $picture.Save($tiff) }

Power Automate: SFTP action "Test connection failed"

When I added an SFTP create file action to my Power Automate flow ( https://flow.microsoft.com ) , I got the following error in the action step, within the designer: "Test connection failed" To troubleshoot the Power Automate connection, I had to: go the Power Automate portal then "Data"->"Connections"  the sftp connection was there, I clicked on the ellipsis, and entered the connection info It turns out, that screen provides more details about the connection error. In my case, it was complaining that "SSH host key finger-print xxx format is not supported. It must be in 'MD5' format". I had provided the sha fingerprint that WinScp shows. Instead, I needed to use the MD5 version of the fingerprint. To get that, I had to run in command line (I was in a folder that had openssh in it): ssh -o FingerprintHash=md5 mysftpsite.com To get the fingerprint in MD5 format. I took the string (without the "MD5:" part of the string) and put

Alert if file missing using Powershell

The following Powershell script can be used to send an email alert when a file is missing from a folder or it is the same file from a previous check: $path_mask = "yourfile_*.txt" $previous_file_store = "lastfileread.txt" $script_name = "File Check" ###### Functions ########## Function EMailLog($subject, $message) {    $emailTo = "juanito@yourserver.com"    $emailFrom = "alert@yourserver.com"    $smtpserver="smtp.yourserver.com"       $smtp=new-object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($smtpServer)    $smtp.Send($emailFrom, $emailTo, $subject, $message) } Try {    #get files that match the mask    $curr_file = dir $path_mask |  select name    if ($curr_file.count -gt 0)    {        #file found        #check if the file is different from the previous file read        $previous_file = Get-Content $previous_file_store        $curr_file_name = $curr_file.Item(0).Name        if ($